Dandruff is among one of the major hair problems. Many people assume that dandruff is a normal condition, but they don’t know that it could result in hair loss. Dandruff is basically a scalp disorder wherein scalp flakes come out. These scalp flakes are nothing but dead skin cells. Infection by bacteria and fungus is responsible for dandruff that can lead to an itchy and dry scalp that is not only irritating, but if dandruff is not cured then it may result in serious hair loss. There are numerous reasons that may lead to dandruff.
Dandruff causes – Reasons galore
- Mental stress
- Lack of nutritious diet
- Hereditary reasons
- Not taking care of proper cleansing your scalp or using excessive anti dandruff shampoo
- Frequent change in shampoo brands and conditioners
- Hormonal imbalance
- Prolonged illness
- Excessive oil production on scalp
- Seasonal conditions like dry winter air
- Skin conditions like acne, eczema, etc that lead to the formation of dead skin on the scalp
- Frequent use of hair styling products
- Over exposure to the sun
All these reasons lead to the formation of dead skin cells. It is pointless to say that if proper remedy is not figured out, then dandruff can result in hair loss. Nevertheless, dandruff is neither a serious hair disorder, nor it is contagious; but it really causes lot of embarrassment and may create an inferiority complex. Figuring out about inexpensive and effective remedies for curing dandruff is no rocket science as it can be treated by some simple and inexpensive home remedies. So when we are aware by now that dandruff may lead to hair fall, let’s have a glance on the best home remedies for treating dandruff.
Homemade remedies to cure dandruff problems
- Messaging with almond oil, coconut oil really proves to be extremely helpful in dandruff treatment.
- A nutritious diet containing protein, zinc, iron, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin B12 is a sure shot way to get rid of irritating dandruff and to promote hair growth.
- Drinking plenty of water promotes helps in the reduction of hair fall.
- Rinsing hair properly after applying shampoo and conditioner is extremely important because at times, the leftovers lead to the formation of dandruff.
- Detangling hair by using wide-comb can really make a big difference. Another most important point to remember is to pay utmost attention to the cleanliness of the combs, towel, hair accessories, etc.
Does dandruff cause hair loss? – The flip side
Well, there is another set of believers who believe that dandruff doesn’t lead to hair loss. However, dandruff may not be a direct and conspicuous reason of hair loss, but it certainly contributes in deteriorating the quality of hair. Both, excessive dry or excessive oily scalp causes dandruff. In case of oily scalp, yellow flakes are formed and in case of excessive dry scalp, white flakes are formed. If scalp itself would not be in a good condition, then hair strands will not be able to develop in a proper way. Dead cells would discourage the growth of new hair strands. For allowing hair to grow healthy, it is important to keep the scalp healthy and free from dead cells. To sum up, whether dandruff leads to hair loss or not, there is no doubt that by curing dandruff one can experience healthy hair.